About Me

My photo
Northern-California native, trying to do as much as I can in the time I have here.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Darker Side

This was an email I sent my best friend. I was sharing with her the gripping feeling I get when I become homesick. It's not all sunshine.


Is it normal to feel left out of your life primarily for the reason that I am no longer there to be around you? For the first time during my journey I have truly felt the pains of being away from home, being away from my daily comforts, being away from those I call my friends, being away from family; my blood, and most painful of all; being away from the one I adore. Tell me this is stupid or normal, and that it will soon feel right. I can sense a gravitational force gripping me toward all that I have been accustomed to and it is distracting me from the choice I have made to come here. It is not in the forefront of my mind but hidden in between thoughts. I know it is there but I am either choosing to be blind to it, or unsure of the feelings I have for it. I am not considering coming home at all but I cannot deny that I truly do miss my life I had in California. The “if only” is difficult to cope with but I am aware that it is an illusion not only here but if only I were home as well. It is fascinating how I can dream of life back home and become so enamored with my thoughts that I begin to believe I need to live that life immediately. I only hope in time I will break free from the desire to live the life I had and accept the life I have chosen. There is so much to accomplish, so many relationships to form, and adventures to partake, so many strangers, and so many challenges. I can only feel blessed to have the opportunity to experience this right now. While looking at my past has been painful, I need to look ahead with the same intensity. It is difficult when I worry if you will be a part of that future or not. That insecurity is the manufacturer of all my fears. I wish I could always write with an optimistic outlook and a strong and courageous soul but this vulnerability is something I value as well. I feel more authentic when I can share my fears and doubts with others, it is a way to really connect to people and help one another become aware of the places where we need most help from others. I think I have spent so much of my life trying to see the sunny side that I have completed missed the painful and embarrassing parts of myself and in others as well. If I have failed to see your dark spots I am sorry for not being aware and there to give you some comfort. In my time here I hope to get to know my other half as much as I do my positive half, and in turn become aware of when others are reaching out to me and sharing their deeper selves. This letter started out dark but I think it is helping me address the light associated with it as well. I feel more whole and I am grateful to share it with you. I don’t want to only share with you a list of activities but everything that is going on with in me, I hope you too can share with me what I so desire to know. I can not say how much I appreciate you for reasons that are too long to list but I want to say thank you and I hope you feel empowered by the affect you have had on me and my family. Thank you.

3 comments:

Chrisy said...

You are a wonderful writer. Really. I just read most of your entries and I am blown away about how much you are experiencing. You have been there for a few weeks and have experienced more than others will in a lifetime. When you return you should collect your entries into a book about the peace core. It's enjoyable, relatable, and touching.

It was great to talk to you on skype the other day. Homesickness can be distracting, painful and seemingly endless but just remember we are all still here and we are going nowhere. You didn't give up a life because we love you and support you and you will be back. You have just added more depth, color and character to your life by deciding to do an incredible, admirable, life enhancing programs.

I am here for you always as well as the rest of the family. Im so proud of you Donny. It was actually really hard for me to say goodbye to you at home and it's making me cry again so i better go! Can't wait to read your next entry. All my love.

CurtisGrima said...

Sounds like you are having a real good time Don! I am sure this is an experience that will last a lifetime. Keep up with the blogs, I enjoy reading them!

Unknown said...

Don - I miss you man. I hope you know that I admire the bravery it took for you to make this decision. Please continue to share your experiences and feelings as it makes me feel like I am part of your journey.