About Me

My photo
Northern-California native, trying to do as much as I can in the time I have here.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Vamos a la playa

I had my first trip to the beach here. It was a bit different but really tranquil and somewhat private. We took a bus for two hours and I was not expecting it to be that long at all. For the majority of rides it cost 15 to 25 pesos which is like 50 cents to 75 cents. But we got on one bus that cost 60 pesos and I was taken off guard and realized I didn’t have enough for the return. Luckily my Doña covered me on the way home. I thought leaving home for the beach with a hundred pesos would cover it…I kind of forgot that a hundred pesos is equal to a little over three US dollars. The exchange rate is currently 35 pesos to every American dollar. I am still getting used to the whole conversion thing. While public transportation is relatively cheap here, everything else is on par with the Unites States. It makes it difficult to stay in the budget but it is all part of the program. Anyways the beaches here are mostly different. They have large stone barriers that keep out the waves in the public ocean areas. Nobody goes in the beach outside of it because there is a lot of large rocks and other objects that are dangerous. No one snorkels or anything, it is like a large saltwater pool. I had a great time especial since we arrived early and enjoyed the water before it became a beach party. There are many people who sell things there like coconuts, DVDs, candy, liquor, and God knows what else. We bought some fruits and other snacks but my Doña being the intelligent women she is packed us spaghetti and some bread. Back home I would not appreciate a good pack lunch but when you are on a budget you come to appreciate free lunch. It is a new experience for me to be on my own but with the security that my parents always have my best interest in mind. We stay for most of the day and when we were returning I realized that I had forgot to put on some sunscreen and being near the equator my face and skin was not a happy camper. At least I got to brag to the other volunteers that I got to go to the beach.
The next day we went on a tour with a college professor of Latin American history. It was incredible. So much history on this tiny island. A lot to do with Christopher Columbus and dispelling myths. If you come I will give you a walking tour and try to repeat as much as I heard. The Peace Corps director is coming here tomorrow so I better get some sleep. He is kind of a big deal in the United States and his first stop is here in the Dominican Republic. I should also mention that I am leaving Thursday for a Peace Corps Volunteer visit in Barahona which is closer to the ocean. The peace corps volunteer I am visiting has been here a year working in the same department as I am (youth development). I am looking forward to the journey as it will be my first solo experience here. I am sure I will have plenty of interesting things to say. Also please help me make this blog better. Give me some tips on things I could do to make it easier to read and more exciting. I can take some good criticism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how did that spaghetti keep in the sun?